(Most of) the kids are back in school and fall is on the horizon, but it still feels like the dead of summer… at least here in Dallas. And, even though strawberry season is typically from April until June, the strawberries I’m buying at the farmer’s market and grocery stores are still perfection. One of my favorite and easiest summer (or anytime strawberries are good) desserts is strawberry shortcake. It sounds complicated, but some fresh strawberries, store-bought pastries, and well, that’s about it, make a great dessert. Follow the recipe below for a great dessert!
- 2 Frozen Biscuits
- 2 Cups Strawberries
- 2 TBSP Granulated Sugar
- Optional: Whipped Cream and/or ice cream
- Clean and dry strawberries
- Cut strawberries into small slices
- Place in bowl and sprinkle with sugar
- Stir to coat and cover
- Let sit for 2 hours (a minimum), stirring occasionally and until liquid forms (this is the sauce on the shortcake)
- Bake biscuits according to the package’s directions
- Let the biscuits cool
- Once cooled, cut the biscuits in half
- When ready to serve, plate bottom half of biscuit, top with strawberries, then top with other biscuit half
- Drizzle honey over strawberry shortcake and top with whipped cream or serve with side of ice cream!