I use turmeric in my cooking a lot. It doesn’t add much flavor, but adds great color and health benefits to my meals. Recently, I have also been adding it and cinnamon to my coffee in the morning. So, I thought why not combine the milk and turmeric and cinnamon to make it a little easier in the mornings?! In India, golden or turmeric milk has been used as a medicinal drink for centuries. Just some benefits of that you will experience with this milk include anti-inflammation, anti-bloating, and weight loss. Here are a few more:
- Better Digestion: The main ingredient in turmeric is curcumin, which has been used in Ayurvedic medicine for centuries to fight gas, bloat, and indigestion. Add this with ginger and this golden milk also fights nausea and soothes stomachaches.
- Happier Muscles: Put this milk in your post-workout smoothies and the anti-inflammatory properties will help receive joint and muscle pains. An added bonus, if you have a headache, drink a cup of this stuff, as it is claimed to soothe the headache. If these sound familiar, some studies found that turmeric offered similar relief as ibuprofen.
- Fights cold and flu: The ginger in the golden milk has been found to soothe a sore throat and has properties to help the body from respiratory infections.
- Weight loss support: Still up in the air, but some studies found that turmeric reduces the growth of fat cells in mice and increases metabolism.
- Increases good cholesterol: Coconut oil has been shown to raise good cholesterol in the body and even has been shown to combat tooth decay, which is why people oil pull! (The process of swishing coconut oil in your mouth for 20-30 minutes)
So, if that isn’t enough for you to try the below recipe, I don’t know what else you would need!
2 Cups Milk, I used homemade almond milk
1 TSP Turmeric
1 TSP Cinnamon
1/2 TSP Ground Ginger
1 TBSP Coconut Oil
Optional: 1 TBSP Honey
Pinch of nutmeg, salt, and pepper
In a saucepan on the stove, combine all ingredients and whisk until combined
Bring to a gentle boil, then turn heat to low
Simmer for 10 minutes
Serve immediately, or let cool and place in fridge until ready to use!
Reheat when ready to use
- 2 Cups Milk, I used homemade almond milk
- 1 TSP Turmeric
- 1 TSP Cinnamon
- 1 TBSP Coconut Oil
- Optional: 1 TBSP Honey
- Pinch of nutmeg, salt, and pepper
- In a saucepan on the stove, combine all ingredients and whisk until combined
- Bring to a gentle boil, then turn heat to low
- Simmer for 10 minutes
- Serve immediately, or let cool and place in fridge until ready to use!
- Reheat when ready to use
- Makes a great addition to smoothies or coffee, or just a cup by itself!